Русский English Deutsch Le français Español Lingua italiana Suomi Svenska 中
Main page / Museums and sightseeing in Veliky Novgorod / Trinity Church in Yamskaya Sloboda
Trinity Church in Yamskaya Sloboda
9 Troitskaya St., Veliky Novgorod

+7 (816 2) 77 35 56 (Софийсикй кафедральный собор / St. Sophia Cathedral)
+7 931 850 15 22 (Новгородская епархия / Novgorod Diocese)


Working hours:
Сб: 9:00 (Литургия )
Sat: 9 a.m. (Divine Service)

Entrance Fee:
бесплатно / free

58.51566800, 31.27334000
Find nearby

The wooden church of the Holy Life-Giving Trinity on Redyatina Street (in Yamskaya Sloboda) was built in 1165. The stone church was built in 1365, according to the records. The construction was made by city residents that were involved in some businaess activities with Ugra (the Northern Ural at the time).

In 1734 the building was overhauled. The floor plan remained the same as well as the locations of the entries and the 1.5-2 m high walls; the material of the 14th century was partly used but the faсade and the interior changed substantially. The church is different with its lowered apse without portal arch, cross pillars, octagonal drum with lesenes, angled arches of unusual construction, lots of cavity resonators in the walls of the drum and pendentives and rich tile décor of the drum. In the 14th century the church had four pillars, no narthex, two lowered apses besides central one, trefoil gables, minimal décor and no lesenes on its facades.

In 1830 the church was overhauled again; the stone parvis, refectory and belfry were added (they had been wooden since the end of the 18th century until then). In 1975-1979 under the guidance of L. Krasnorechiev the church was explored and the appearance of the 18th century was restored; the remains of the 14th century in the interior were revealed and preserved in the lower part of it, on the ground floor.

Despite the fact that the church building is not that large and rich in comparison with other temples, it was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List because it represents 3 centuries of architecture.

Find nearby
↑ Up