Русский English Deutsch Le français Español Lingua italiana Suomi Svenska 中
search
Main page / Museums and sightseeing in Veliky Novgorod / The Battle Course of the Kremlin
The Battle Course of the Kremlin
Address:
The Kremlin, Veliky Novgorod

Telephone:
+7 (816 2) 77 37 70

WWW:
http://novgorodmuseum.ru

Working hours:
С 1 мая: Пн, Вт, Чт: 10:00–18:00;
Пт – Вс: 10:00–20:00;
перерыв: 14:00–15:00

С 16 сентября: Пн–Вс (кроме Ср):
10:00–18:00; перерыв: 14:00–15:00

С 1 октября: 10:00–18:00 (Сб, Вс);
перерыв: 14:00–15:00;
выходные: Пн – Пт

С 5 ноября закрыто

From May 1: Mon, Tue, Thu: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Fri – Sun: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Break: 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.

From Oct, 1: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. (Sat, Sun)
Break: 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.; Closed: Mon – Fri

From Nov, 5 closed for autumn and winter

Entrance Fee:
взрослые – 200 руб.,
учащиеся, дети до 16 лет – 140 руб.,
дети до 7 лет – бесплатно
Билеты в кассе Софийской звонницы

290 RUB (adults)
200 RUB (students)
children under 7 – free
Tickets are sold in the Bell Tower

Единый билет на посещение Звонницы и Боевого хода:
350 руб. — взрослые, 250 руб. – учащиеся,
140 руб. – дети до 16 лет

Combined ticket for the Bell Tower and the Battle Course:
520 RUB – adults, 350 RUB – students,
200 RUB – children under 16

GPS:
58.52136500, 31.27746800

Travel the path that the defenders of Novgorod were going. The Kremlin wall has a magnificent view of the pedestrian bridge, monuments of Yaroslav's Court, the river Volkhov and the belfry of the St. George Monastery.

There were six towers on the site where the route of the defensive wall walkway currently lies: Prechistenskaya, Borisoglebskaya, Dvortsovaya, Knyazhaya, Spasskaya Towers and Kokuy Tower. Due to repair and rehabilitation operations of particular towers, visitors can access the site to the Dvortsovaya Tower (including a tour to the second storey of the tower).

On the site of the Prechistenskaya Arch, there was a tower of the same name with a gate leading to the Great Bridge. The tower got its name from the gateway stone church. The stone Prechistenskaya tower was built in the 14th century, and it was rebuilt at the end of the 15th century.

To the south of the Prechistenskaya Tower there was Borisoglebskaya Tower which was not preserved. It was named after the nearby church. Presumably in the 14th century, the tower was built in stone and at the end of the 15th century it was rebuilt. At the end of the 16th century the Borisoglebskaya Tower was significantly rebuilt: arrow slit windows were converted into narrower ones, in the upper part of the tower 18 hanging arrow slit windows (machicolations) were arranged, and a gate for the repulsion of the enemy attacks was built. By the end of the 18th century, the tower was in a dilapidated state because of spring floods, and at the beginning of the 19th century its remains were completely demolished.

There is the Dvortsovaya Tower in the south-eastern part of the Kremlin. It was built at the end of the 15th century on the site of an earlier tower of the beginning of the same century. Dvortsovaya Tower has 37 arrow slit windows. Its lower storey was used as a warehouse for military supplies.

The Spasskaya (Savior) Tower, following the Dvortsovaya Tower, is named after the Gate up Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior. The time of the construction of the original stone tower is not known exactly. The extant structure was built at the end of the 15th century. The tower was rebuilt at the end of the 16th century, in 1665-1667 and at the end of the 17th century. The latest renovation was associated with the construction of a stone Governor Court, which adjoined the Spasskaya Tower. At that time, copper cannons were transported to the Spasskaya Tower.

Knyazhaya Tower was also built in the 15th century and underwent restructuring at the end of the 16th and 17th centuries. The tower was part of the Governor Court complex, and was used for military and economic needs. In a two-storey annex a cellar and a pantry were built.

Until the end of the 17th century, at the site of the Kokuy Tower (which was called Kalancha (Watchtower) in documents of the 17th-18th centuries), there was a low flat three-level tower. Its upper storey, located at the level of the defensive wall walkway, served as a platform for a large cannon installation. The tower was not covered, but was probably fenced with battlements as the walls were. The extant lower part of the tower, which mainly made of gray limestone, is the platform of the late 15th century. In 1692-1693, during the construction of the stone Governor Court, the low tower was thoroughly rebuilt. Three storeys were built over the platform, and above them two decreasing eight-sided superstructures were constructed. Like the Knyazhaya Tower, Kokuy was adapted for the needs of the Governor Court. A stone arch was built on the ground floor and a wine cellar was set up. On the second floor, where the arch also was, the State Chamber was located. On the third floor, two chambers were arranged, between which a passage was made to the battle platform of the defensive wall. The room of the upper octagon structure served as the lookout post.

↑ Up